Category: Housing

The Myth of Home Ownership in Singapore, and Why I Choose to Rent

Owning vs renting a home
Many home owners in Singapore are, in reality, renters as they do not really own their homes .

Although I own properties overseas, I am a renter here in Singapore. People keep telling me that “renting is just like flushing your money down a toilet”. When I ask these people whether they rent or own, they proudly proclaim “own, of course!” But do they really own their home? Most people who purchase a home, do so with a mortgage, a word that originates from Latin meaning “death pledge” because it often took the entire life of a person to fulfill the pledge. Until recently, a person in Singapore could buy a home with 5% of its value in cash, 15% in CPF funds, while the rest (80%) is lent by a bank. For a BTO, the rules used to allow for 10% down and while the other 90% was financed. The amount financed, of course, comes with interest. So let’s dissect what is actually owned. (more…)