Taobao is one of the world’s biggest e-commerce websites, as well as one of the world’s top 10 most visited websites (along with Google, YouTube, and Facebook). Since just about everything is made in China, many Singaporeans can save money by shopping from Chinese merchants online. But Taobao is a consumer-to-consumer marketplace, which means you’re buying directly from an individual (not a company). This means you may not get the best consumer service or customer protection. To add a layer of protection and to avoid common scams, you can use a Taobao agent such as SGshop.
Other Taobao agents include Ezbuy (Formerly 65Daigou), Peeka, and Oops. Here’s a nice article & summary chart for you to compare your Taobao agent options.
About the SGshop GSS Giveaways
Let me first confess that I’ve never purchased anything from Taobao or SGShop. I just haven’t needed to. But I know quite a few people who have bought from Taobao, most of them using an agent. Though, personally I have no experience in this matter.
I was told about SGshop’s promotional giveaway because there are a lot of people like me who have never used a Taobao agent, and this was a way of introducing the concept to people. And in case you’re wondering, this is not a sponsored post.
For 10 weeks (June to August), SGshop will be giving away vouchers and massages and even a staycation. Head over to their Facebook page for a different giveaway each week. Here is a list of the fabulous prizes you can win (anyone can win, you don’t have to buy anything).
● 1 -7 June: Vaniday – 4 winners x $30 vouchers each
● 8 – 14 June: De Arte – Hair Studio 3 winners x $50 vouchers each
● 15 – 21 June: Home Nails – 1 winner x Classic mani & pedi worth $66
● 22 – 25 June: Kinetics Climbing – 2 winners x Pair of tickets each worth $50 to beginner bouldering class
● 29 June – 5 July: Xcape Room – 2 winners x Pair of tickets each to any game worth $28 per ticket
● 6 – 12 July: The Tinsel Rack – 2 winners x $100 vouchers each
● 13 – 19 July: Sabaai Sabaai Thai Massage – 1 winner x 120 minute Thai massage worth $160
● 20 – 26 July: Chunky Lobster – 10 winners x $20 voucher each
● 27 July – 2 August: KKDay – 1 winner x One pair of tickets to Lotte World Seoul worth US$55.26
● 3 – 9 August: Glamping City – 1 winner x 2D1N Couple Tent worth $190
Other SGshop Promotions
For 3 months, SGshop will be giving all their Buy-For-Me customers 20% off sea shipping. Essentially, you don’t have to deal with navigating the clutter that is Taobao (in Mandarin no less!), and you get to save on international shipping. SGshop’s Buy-For-Me service will handle everything – purchasing, liaising, organising the logistics, inspecting the products, and shipping.
On top of that, UOB card users get an additional 10% off shipping until 31 July.
– – –
Personally, I don’t know much about this topic. I’ve heard stories of satisfied customers, and I’ve heard stories of very unhappy customers. There are articles that rate the different Taobao agents, but policies, terms, and customer service staff often change so it’s hard to get a clear picture of what your individual experience may be like.
Perhaps this is one major reason why I haven’t bought anything from Taobao, or even explored the various services Taobao agents, such as SGshop, have to offer. Though, I think this promotion is a great way to introduce and promote the services SGshop can offer.