Ever wanted to know which places offer the cheapest Chicken Rice, Wanton Mee, or Laksa? Now you can easily find your nearest budget hawker dishes with the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) pilot online directory. The ministry database includes food items and prices from 103 hawker centres from the second quarter of this year.
Just go to their search site here, choose from 22 popular hawker dishes and your desired location, and it will display search results of hawker food priced at or below the 30th percentile price of the food type surveyed.
Here are some of the results I found to be interesting:
- The lowest price for most hawker dishes is $2, but the following dishes are the exception and cost below $2:
- Roti Prata 1 piece of “kosong” $0.60
- Porridge (peanut) $0.70
- Nasi Lemak set meal $0.90
- Mee Goreng $1.30
- Vegetarian Bee Hoon $1.40
- Mee Siam $1.50
- Fried Kway Teow $1.50
- The least expensive Nasi Padang and Duck Rice was $2.20 and $2.50, respectively.
- There are only 2 dishes at/below the 30th percentile price in the “Orchard, Cairnhill, River Valley” region: Nasi Padang at $3 and Mee Goreng at $3.
The listing also includes photos so when you arrive at the stall, you know you’re at the right place. So far, the website has had more than 15,000 unique visits since its launch last month. I’m not sure how often they will update the price list, but if you find a price discrepancy, you can email the details to MTI. Please note that one of the hawker centres (Blk 17, Upper Boon Keng Road Hawker Centre) was excluded because it was undergoing renovations during the time of the survey.