In addition to your Chinese New Year reunion obligations, here are some other activities for the week, ones that don’t require giving out hong baos or having to answer awkward questions.
Wednesday 18 Feb
- River Hongbao, 17 Feb through 28 Feb – This year, the 12-day River Hongbao carnival promises to be the biggest in its 29-year history, as it celebrates not just the Chinese New Year but also Singapore’s Jubilee year. Highlights of the carnival include tightrope stunts performed by members of the Acrobatic Troupe of Xinjiang China and the Chinese New Year countdown at midnight on Feb 18. There will also be several theme nights, such as Harmony Night, Xinyao Night, Family Night, Getai Night and Youth Night. (venue: The Float @ Marina Bay)
- Starhub Free Preview, 18 Feb noon through 23 Feb noon – Starhub will offer free previews of more than 30 popular channels to all StarHub TV subscribers. The Free Preview is also made available on TV Anywhere for selected channels.
- Singtel Free Preview, 18 Feb through 23 Feb – Singtel also announced it will be offering a free preview of more than 120 channels, excluding mio Stadium and on-demand channels, to all customers on the Singtel TV platform.
Thursday 19 Feb – Chinese New Year
- National Heritage Board Open House, 19 Feb & 20 Feb – All National Heritage Board museums and heritage institutions will be offering visitors free admission on the first two days of the Chinese New Year. (venues: Asian Civilisations Museum, Malay Heritage Centre, National Museum of Singapore, The Peranakan Museum, Reflections at Bukit Chandu, Singapore Philatelic Museum, and Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall)
- Singtel Free Local Data – In celebration of the Chinese New Year, Singtel postpaid mobile customers will get free unlimited local data just for this day.
- Singapore Flyer Free Ride, 19 Feb through 22 Feb, starting at 8.30am – The first 88 visitors (limited to Singaporeans and PRs, aged 60 years and above only upon presentation of NRIC) during the first four days of Chinese New Year get to ride on the Singapore Flyer for free! Tickets are on a first-come first-serve basis. Visitors can redeem their free basic Flight ticket from the West Promenade Ticketing Counter. (venue: Singapore Flyer)
Friday 20 Feb – Chinese New Year
- Istana Open House, 8.30am – 6pm – The second day of Chinese New Year will be the first Istana Open House day of 2015. As with all Open House days, there will be a variety of themed performances all along the compound. Macaws and parrots from the Singapore Bird Park, and farm goats from Hay Dairies will be on display. You can also join the Nature Guided Walk for a grander experience ($4 for adults, $2 for children), or just download the app and explore on your own. Admission to the Istana is free for Singaporeans and PRs, and $1 for everyone else. (venue: The Istana)
Sunday 22 Feb
- Sunday Vocal Jam, 3 – 4.30pm – The A Cappella Society will be performing at Bishan Public Library as part of their monthly Sunday Vocal Jam. The A Cappella Society also holds monthly free music theory workshops. For anyone interested in joining their group or attending their workshops, please visit their website. Their upcoming workshop is on the 28th of February. You can register your interest at this link. (venue: Bishan Public Library, Programme Zone L2)
Tuesday 24 Feb
- Nexus International School Parent Workshop, 8.45 – 10.30am – If you’re a parent of pre-teens, then you won’t want to miss this! Learn more about the 7-step model for parents to connect with their pre-teens and support them to build a life of confidence, courage and compassion. This workshop is given by parent and child coach Jaime Simpson, and is free and open to the public (not required to be enrolled in Nexus International School). (venue: 201 Ulu Pandan Road, Multipurpose Room)